Zoning Administrator: Vanessa Bader
About the Zoning Department:
The Clayton Township Zoning Administrator may be one of the first people a resident or developer sees when considering a project in the Township. The Zoning Administrator answers questions specific to the Township zoning ordinance and works with the Planning Commission regarding changes to the Zoning Ordinance and Master Plan. Applications for re-zoning, special conditional use, site plan review, variances and zoning permits are submitted to the Zoning Administrator for initial review and processing. Clayton Township’s Zoning Administrator also reviews Land Division Applications for zoning compliance.
Zoning Department FAQs
Can I keep farm animals on my property if it is located in the FS, Single Family zoning district? (horses, cows, chickens, etc.)
The keeping of farm animals in the FS, Single-Family, district is allowed as a special conditional use if all the following regulations are met:
- Application must be made to the Zoning Administrator accompanied by a fee of $25.00.
- Parcels of land on which the animals are housed, pastured, or otherwise kept, must contain no less than ten (10) contiguous acres under the ownership of the applicant.
- There must be adequate housing and fencing on the property as required by the Township Zoning Ordinance.
- No more than four (4) animals will be allowed on the first ten (10) acres and one (1) animal for each 2.5 acres thereafter.
What is the Township Planning Commission?
The basic function of the Planning Commission is to make and adopt a plan for the Township’s land use – Master Plan. In addition the Commission has the following duties:
- to review subdivision plats and make recommendations to the Township Board;
- to review and hold public hearings on rezoning requests (zoning map changes) and zoning ordinance text changes and make recommendations to the Township Board;
- to review and hold public hearings for special conditions use permit requests and make recommendations to the Township Board.
- to review site plans for condominium projects, commercial or industrial site plans and to grant final approval or denial of such projects.
Current Planning Commission Members:
Chairman: William Shaw
Members: Ed McCartney | Kevin DePottey | Dennis Milem | Eric Merriam
Planning Commission members have appointed positions of three year staggered terms. The Clayton Township Planning Commission meets monthly on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the Township Hall. All meetings are open to the public as required by the Open Meetings Act. Requests for the meeting minutes or other documents related to the Planning Commission may be made to the Township Clerk under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. Copies of the Township Master Plan, Master Plan supplements, and copies of the Zoning Ordinance may be purchased at the Township Offices.
- Zoning Ordinances……………$35.00
- Master Plan……………………..$35.00
- Master Plan Supplements…..$20.00 each
What is the Township ZBA (Zoning Board of Appeals)?
The Zoning Board of Appeals is the Township’s quasi-judicial body–meaning that it is the only legal board that can be delegated authority to make discretionary decisions, within the limits of the standards set forth in the zoning ordinance. The responsibilities of the Zoning Board of Appeals are to:
- grant variances from the strict letter of the ordinance based upon practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship which would result from conforming to the Ordinance;
- give an interpretation of the zoning map or specific zoning regulations; and
- hear appeals to decisions or determinations made by any administrative official charged with zoning ordinance enforcement.
The Clayton Township Zoning Board of Appeals may not grant use variances All decisions of the Zoning Board of Appeals are final but may only be appealed to the circuit court on questions of law and fact within 21 days of approval of the Boardâ€™s minutes containing the decision.
Current Zoning Board of Appeals Commission Members:
Chairman: Edward McCartney
Members: Paul Brown | Greg Childers | Patrick Kidder | Vacancy – Appointment pending
Zoning Board of Appeals members have appointed positions of three year staggered terms. The Clayton Township Zoning Board of Appeals meet quarterly (4-times yearly) on the second Monday of the given month at 7:00 p.m. at the Township Hall. All meetings are open to the public as required by the Open Meetings Act. Requests for the meeting minutes or other documents related to the Planning Commission may be made to the Township Clerk under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act.