Clayton Township
2011 S. Morrish Road
Swartz Creek, MI. 48473

Township Hall
Phone: 810.635.4433
Fax: 810.635.4526

Township Office Hours:
Monday, Tuesday & Thursday: 9am - 5pm
Wednesday: 8am - 7pm
Friday: 9am - 1pm

Police Department:
Phone: 810-635-3230
Fax: 810-635-3244

Police Department Hours:
Monday-Friday: 9am - 4pm

Emergency calls dial 911

Clayton Township Forms & Permits Clayton Township Tax & AssessingClayton Township Building & Zoning

Treasurer Department

Treasurer: Rick Caruso
Phone: 810-635-4433

Deputy Treasurer: Marie Carter



Application for Deferment of Summer Taxes

Treasurer Department FAQ’s

What is the formula for calculating taxes?

Multiply the taxable value by the millage rate and divide by 1000. Don’t forget to add any special assessments and a 1% property tax administration fee.

Who do I make my payment payable to?

Winter & Summer tax bills are currently billed and payable to:
Clayton Township
2011 S. Morrish Rd
Swartz Creek, MI 48473

What if I don’t receive my tax bill?

Tax bills are generally mailed out the first of July and the first of December. If you have not received your tax bill by the end of the first week of the month, please contact the township and we will be happy to mail, fax or have ready a copy of your tax bill.

What if my mortgage company handles my taxes in an escrow account?

Tax bills are mailed to the owner of each property and should be forwarded to your escrow account handler. In some cases, tax servicing companies and mortgage companies submit a request on behalf of all the properties they service and obtain tax bill information from the township.

When are taxes due?

The summer bill is  due by September 14 of each year. After the due date, a 1% interest charge will be assessed each month beginning with September.

The winter bill is due by February 28 each year. After March 1, winter taxes are considered  deliquent and are payable only to Genesee County. They are assessed a one time 4% penalty and 1% interest for each month, beginning with March. Taxes that are delinquent more than a year will have a substantially higher interest rate (1.5% instead of 1%). In addition, a $175.00 forfeiture fee will be added along with additional administrative fees. Payoff information may be obtained from the county at (810) 257-3054 or via their website at

Can taxes be deferred? What is deferral?

A deferral is a DELAYING in payment of summer taxes or an extension with no interest or penalty ONLY if paid by February 15. It is NOT a waiver of taxes due.

Summer taxes may be deferred by certain individuals if they meet the criteria established by the State of Michigan. Generally speaking, this deferment is for senior citizens, farmers without other income and veterans (and/or spouses). More information can be found at

Does the township automatically send a tax receipt to me?

In an effort to help control costs, the Township’s policy is to mail tax receipts only when requested. Please feel free to enclose your request for a receipt with your tax payment when mailing it into the Township, or call (810) 635-4433 and we will be happy to mail/fax you a receipt.

FAQ’s For Property Owners with Delinquent Taxes

What happens if I don’t pay my taxes on time to the Township?

The county treasurer adds a 4% administration fee and interest of 1% per month. After one year, the property is forfeited to the county treasurer. For example, the 2011 taxes that remain unpaid as of March 1, 2013 will be in forfeiture.

What does it mean to be in forfeiture? Does it mean I lose my property?

No. Forfeiture is not foreclosure. If your property is in forfeiture, you still have a year before it will be foreclosed. However, the interest and fee will be higher. When a property is forfeited, the interest rate goes from 1% per month to 1.5% per month, back to the date the taxes became delinquent. A $175 fee and other administration fees are also added.

What happens after my property is in forfeiture?

After a property has been in forfeiture for one year, it enters the foreclosure process. Properties with 2011 delinquent taxes will be foreclosed March 31, 2014.

 What happens after my property goes through foreclosure? How do I get it back?

 Foreclosure is final. You cannot get your property back after it has been foreclosed. Once the Circuit Court enters the judgement of foreclosure, redemption rights expire March 31st of the current year and the property may be sold at public auction.


The Genesee County Road Commission has issued a list of bridges in Genesee County with revised weight limits. Click here for the complete list and limits.