Clayton Township
2011 S. Morrish Road
Swartz Creek, MI. 48473

Township Hall
Phone: 810.635.4433
Fax: 810.635.4526

Township Office Hours:
Monday, Tuesday & Thursday: 9am - 5pm
Wednesday: 8am - 7pm
Friday: 9am - 1pm

Police Department:
Phone: 810-635-3230
Fax: 810-635-3244

Police Department Hours:
Monday-Friday: 9am - 4pm

Emergency calls dial 911

Clayton Township Forms & Permits Clayton Township Tax & AssessingClayton Township Building & Zoning

Building Inspector: Ted Henry

Phone: 810-635-4433
Fax: 810-635-4526
Inspection Line: 810-635-4433


Coordinator/Manager: Celeste Sywyk
Back-up Inspector: Dean Henry

Electrical Inspector: Jerrod Locascio

Mechanical/Plumbing:  Merle E. West II

Hour & Inspection Days:

Building Department Office Hours:
Monday, Tuesday & Thursday  9:00am – 5:00 pm

Wednesday 8a.m. – 7p.m.

Friday 9a.m. – 1p.m.
(Before or after hours by appointment)

Building Inspections Days:
Monday – Friday

Trade Inspection:

Electrical – Tuesday and Thursdays
Mechanical and Plumbing – Wednesdays

All inspections are required to be called in by 9am on the day the inspection is needed.

Permits Are Required as Follows:

Building Permits:

  • (All construction that will encroach on setbacks must include a plot plan and Zoning Permit Application)
  • All new residences, accessory buildings over 200 sq. ft., pools, decks, signs, remodels, additions, and structural changes require a building permit.
  • All new residential construction requires a Soil Erosion Permit or Waiver prior to making Building permit application.
  • Applications are available at Genesee County Water & Waste Services (810) 732-7870, or on the GCW&W website. Soil Erosion Application

Zoning Permits:

  • (All construction that will encroach on setbacks must include a plot plan)
  • All accessory structures under 200 sq. ft., agricultural use only building and fences require a zoning permit.

Trade Permits (Electrical/Mechanical/Plumbing):

Sewer & Water Inspection Permits:

  • The Clayton Township Building Department Plumbing Inspector inspects new sewer and water installations and alterations as it pertains to the connection between the curb box and the meter. These inspections require a sewer & water inspection permit.


The Genesee County Road Commission has issued a list of bridges in Genesee County with revised weight limits. Click here for the complete list and limits.